Monday, October 31, 2016

Halloween Viewing! Psycho, Dracula, The Conjuring, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde



MOVIE MADNESS
Psycho

                I don’t know how much I can add that hasn’t already said about this masterpiece, but I did watch it through new eyes with my daughter recently.  It was probably the best time I’ve had watching a movie.  Alexandria is 10, and loves non-fiction.  She knew about Alfred Hitchcock from the “Who Is/Was..” biographies aimed at kids.  She is a bit OCD about spoilers and wanting to know what she is getting into, so she asked me, “What is this about”?  “A woman steals money from her boss and runs away”, I replied as I started the movie.  I didn’t lie.
                I was then treated to an hour and a half of a classic by a master of the medium punctuated by some of the best commentary as she tried to work the movie out:
                ‘Oh, she’s so paranoid she goes Psycho!’
                ‘You dummy, the police are watching you.  He sees you buying the car…’
                ‘His mother did it!’
                ‘I know she’s his mother, but he shouldn’t cover for her.’
She got a pleasant surprise from the movie’s denouement, and I had a blast.

Dracula (1931)


                I sat down yesterday to watch some classic monster movies to get in the mood for tonight.  I sat down and watched Dracula because my daughter had called it boring.  We watched it about 6 months ago, and she said she liked it at the time, but since I fell asleep because it was later at night and probably my sixth time seeing it, I was hard-pressed for a rebuttal, so it was the first Halloween movie of the day.
                I enjoy the Universal monster movies, but I find a lot of them survive on nostalgia factor.  For me, horror has to work on a suspense factor, or it doesn’t work as a horror film.  That doesn’t mean they are bad, just, to this modern film lover, not scary.  Dracula has a lot going for it.  The set design is excellent.  The best acting in the film comes from Dwight Frye who delivers a truly creepy performance as Renfield, the highlights being his character being found on the Vesta and when he explains to Van Helsing he was asked to do ‘..what has already been done’.  The other standout is Edward Van Sloan as Van Helsing.  It is no surprise that Lugosi’s best scenes are with the two of them , as I feel they elevate his game.  Lugosi is fine.  I can’t classify him as a great actor, but he certainly had a commanding presence which benefited his performance.  Todd Browning makes good use of edits and camera angles as special effects, my favorite being when they are used to make it appear as if Dracula has ascended the staircase, draped with a large thick web without disturbing it.


The Conjuring (2013)


My wife recommended this as a good scary movie for my daughter to watch, so the three of us tucked in.  It’s a good suspenseful thriller in the haunted house genre.  The plot if fairly typical: Family moves into a ‘new’ old house, strange occurrences start, family reaches out to outside expert for help, etc.  There are some really nice shots like a sheet in the wind taking a shape for a split second or a pair of hands in the dark that are on screen just long enough for you to process what you’ve seen and be scared/shocked by them, but they don’t overstay their welcome.  The only thing that deterred for me was that the film was set in the 70’s and everything was fairly period accurate, but the cinematography was too crisp and sharp for a film set in the time.  I actually think this would be better in standard definition than high definition.




Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)


                I reviewed the silent version here, and it is hard for me to review this version without comparing the two.  There are some story differences that are foundational.  Carew in this version is the fiancĂ©e’s father and not a colleague.  Therefore the impetus of the experiment is different.  Here Jeckyll is already obsessed with duality instead of it being fostered by Carew’s needling.  The music hall girl, named here as Ivey Pearson has a much larger part. 
                I found myself having complex feelings about this version.  On the one hand there was more plot and relationship building conveyed because of the advantage of dialogue to convey information vs. the silent version, but the silent version I believe had a more effective Hyde.  Frederic March is a fine actor, and I like Jeckyll  (pronounced JEEK-EL in this version which is really annoying)with his darker tones.  This isn’t a saint brought low; he experiences lust and rage, but suppresses it.  His Hyde however is really let down by the makeup.  It has a monkey-man feel and March plays Hyde that way.  His Hyde has no charm and is ugly from the beginning, no slow degeneration.  I found myself rolling my eyes are glancing at the clock when Hyde was on the screen.  I still think this is a film worth seeing, but the Hyde has no subtlety and the film suffers for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment