Thursday, June 6, 2013

1935-May, 1938: The Story So Far

Having set the stage of my mission, and seeing that you're still here, I'll bring you up to speed on what progress I've made so far.  I've been doing this for the better part of 2013 to-date.  I started with the earliest comics I had access to, which were scans of microfiche of some of the first DC had to offer.  The first comic to contain non-newspaper strip re-prints, New Fun went on sale January 1935.  It was followed by New Comics November of 1935.  Over the next year, their titles would change.  New Fun would become More Fun and New Comics would become New Adventure before settling on Adventure.  March, 1937, they would be joined by what to me, would become their flagship title (at least for a year) and the inspiration for the company, National Periodicals eventual name, Detective Comics [the DC in DC Comics standing for Detective Comics].  More Fun and Adventure run predominately action strips of the Jungle, Crime, and Western variety with a few humor strips, while Detective, being true to its name, is mostly crime and mystery strips in different venues.

During this period in the real world Hitler has assumed power in Germany, Warner Bros. has started releasing Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies with their new headlining characters, Porky Pig and Daffy Duck.  Hot on the radio are Fibber McGee and Molly.  FDR is ending his first and beginning his second term, and the heat wave that caused the dust bowl is coming to an end.  I'm up to May 1938, and the next issue to read is Detective Comics #15.

Eventually new publishers will start to fold into my reading, Dell, Timely [Marvel], Fox, Quality, and Fawcett, but not until I reach 1939.

No comments:

Post a Comment