Saturday, June 15, 2013

Man of Steel - The spoiler-free review

    I'll post a more spoiler-filled, in-depth review in a week or so, but I wanted on the weekend of release to give a spoiler-free review.
     As my profile states, I have two kids, so most of my movie-going is on all-family affair.  My film card for the rest of the summer is most likely: Monsters University, Turbo, Despicable Me 2, and Planes.  I make sure that every year, I get at least one adult movie, normally whichever comics movie I'm most anticipating.  I spent my pick for the summer on Man of Steel, and boy am I glad I did.  I really, really liked it.  Like 4 out of 5 stars liked.  I put it below Avengers and the Dark Knight, but on par with Spider-Man 2, X2, and Iron Man.  Definitely above all of the others.  The action and scale of the action is great.  A lot of people have complained about the level of destruction in the film, but it s what you would expect of beings of this power.  Cavill makes a great Superman. 
     What stops the film from reaching the heights of Avengers or Dark Knight, is while the acting is good, no one is giving a Heath Ledger, Mark Rufallo, or Robert Downey Jr. - level character defining performance, and the film is very heavy--not dark--but heavy.  I get why they avoided comedy after the farces the past three films have been, but there was very little humor in the movies to lighten the mood, and it could have used it in some spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment