Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Daredevil Pilot Review

     After much anticipation, April 10th has arrived bringing with it the first of Marvel's television co-production's with Netflix.  I had some trepidation about the show based primarily around the unevenness of Agents of SHIELD, but I needn't have worried.  Daredevil Episode 1, Into the Ring is some of the best TV I've seen this season, and is probably the best pilot for a comic book property in the 2015-2016 season.
     I liked a lot of the story-telling choices:  The origin from Jack Murdock's POV, introducing Karen as a client first/secretary second, and making the Kingpin felt, but never seen or mentioned all led to a very compelling hour of action and drama.  The fight scenes, as several folks have pointed out are very well done with a quick brutality to them.  When Daredevil attacks a thug, you can tell he is trying to put him down as quickly as possible.
     The cast is very good with the stand-outs being Charlie Cox (Matt Murdock) and Elden Henson (Foggy Nelson).  Charlie Cox very comfortably goes from charming scoundrel to sensitive and brooding, often in the same scene.  Elden Henson crafts a comfortable in his shoes Foggy Nelson who has his own snappy patter.  A man who has willingly gone into partnership with his best friend with his eyes to open to his friend's weaknesses ("If there's a beautiful woman whose trouble...Matt Murdock finds her and Foggy Nelson suffers!").  My only niggling complaint is the black body stocking costume that I hope is replaced by season's end.

1 comment:

  1. Curious how you felt about the rest of the series. It's been quite some time since I watched it (or any of the Netflix Marvel shows). I liked Daredevil the best, though if memory serves it flagged a bit in the last season or so. I liked Jessica Jones season one very well, but I don't recall making it through season two. Luke Cage I couldn't get through at all. Iron Fist was not (to me, anyway) as terrible as people made it out to be, though I can see why folks took some issue with it. I don't think I liked The Defenders as much as I wished I had.

    ReplyDelete